Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grilled Pizza

I was looking for something fun to make for lunch online one morning. I came across a lady who made pizza on the grill. I instantly wanted to try this out! So after work I ran out to Jones farm and picked up some ingredients. I wanted to make my own sauce because I knew my mom didn’t have any and I didn’t want to go to wal-mart, since it was only me eating I didn’t want to make too much. I knew I had an onion, garlic, and fresh basil/pesto that my mom and I had made, so I only needed a tomato for the sauce and a green pepper for my toppings.I had bought some shredded cheese from when I made my eggplant(post coming soon), so I already had that as well.

I knew I didn’t want to make the crust because I wanted to eat it for lunch and didn’t have make it, then wait an hour before I could use it. But, my sister lives in St. Louis so I go up often, and there is a Trader Joe’s there and they have frozen pizza crust in a bag for $1.99, that’s cheap! I get the wheat crust and it is so easy! You just get it out and let it sit for 20 minutes at room temperature and then it is ready to go!







When I got home I went and got the crust out of the freezer so that could start to de thaw as I started on my sauce. I also went and started the grill (for the first time by myself btw) because when I read how the other lady did it, she said it worked the best when the grill was at its max heat. To make my sauce I started by cutting the onion. Again, since it was only for me I used ¼ of a medium onion. I put a pot on the stove and put a little olive oil in the bottom and started browning my onion. I got one clove of garlic and used my garlic press to get the garlic in small pieces straight into the pan with the onions that are still browning. Then I peeled the tomato and used my pampered chef food chopper to cut it into small pieces. Then turned the stove up to medium heat and added the tomato and pesto that was already chopped and kept in my fridge, I didn’t really measure my pesto, I added probably close to one tablespoon though, maybe a little more. Then I let it simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes.















While the sauce was simmering I rolled out the dough. I knew I was going to use my vegetable grilling basket to make the pizza, but didn’t want to put it on the heat directly because it would burn the bottom too quick. So I put a cookie sheet on grill upside down that way I could just set the basket on that instead of straight on the grill. I set the cookie sheet in the grill that was 550 degrees by this time. I came back inside and finished rolling out my dough, greased the basket, stretch the dough out on the basket, spooned the sauce onto the dough, it was a little chunky but I didn’t mind I had to spoon it though so that the extra juice from the tomato didn’t make the dough soggy. Lastly, I added the shredded cheese and green pepper to the top, then I put the pizza on the grill! I checked it after 5 minutes and the cheese was melted but I wanted the crust a little harder so I wanted 2 more minutes and it was finished! …in 7 minutes!!




Hope all this makes sense! It is one of my longer ones since I kind of made it up by myself! Hope I didn’t lose you! Here are some pictures of how it turned out! Enjoy!!



































Hope you all have a great day!




Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment